Sunday, March 13, 2011

Human papillomavirus


Human papillomavirus (HPV) is a member of the papillomavirus family of viruses that is capable of infecting humans. Like all papillomavirus, HPVs establish productive infections only in the stratified epithelium of the skin or mucous membranes. While the majority of the nearly 200 known types of HPV cause no symptoms in most people, some types can cause warts (verrucae), while others can - in a minority of cases - lead to cancers of the cervix, vulva, vagina, and anus in women or cancers of the anus and penis in men.

More than 30 to 40 types of HPV are typically transmitted through sexual contact and infect the anogenital region. Some sexually transmitted HPV types may cause genital warts. Persistent infection with "high-risk" HPV types-different from the ones that cause skin warts-may progress to precancerous lesions and invasive cancer. HPV infection is a cause of nearly all cases of cervical cancer; however, most infections with these types do not cause disease.



All HPV infections involve the transmission from one infected individual to another through direct skin to skin contact. This may occur through skin to skin transmission through the epidermis via direct contact of a plantar wart virus with broken skin, sexually during intercourse, or orally during sexual activity or kissing. (source)


Last March 9 had my first HPV vaccine through our company's insurance. Much cheaper compared to what my Gynecologist quoted me. Took that chance. Why not! And it hurt so much! I had it during my lunch break and after a few hours I felt I was going through menopause. It was crazy! I felt cold and the next minute I felt I'm having a fever plus I had a splitting headache. When I got home, had a shower and took paracetamol and slept like a baby. Till now only my left arm hurts.

If you could, get the vaccine. Get the protection you need.

It's better than none.



No comments: