Monday, May 22, 2006

Brouhahas!

I haven’t watched The Da Vince Code yet. I don’t know when I’ll be watching it. Maybe after everyone have seen it or maybe after the long line have thinned out. I’ve read the book more than twice and honestly, I’m a little hesitant to watch it. Baka bitin kasi or maybe they made a meager version just like the Harry Potter Series. I guess nothing beats the imagination while you read a good FICTION novel. But on the other hand I would like to see it also. How Tom Hanks do justice to Robert Langdon and to see the other illustrations as told in the book. I’ll watch it one of these days; I’m not in a hurry.

I just can’t believe all the hooplas they’re making to ban the movie. I presume people with weak faith are more threaten. Why so? If you were brought up to believe in God and to trust the teachings of the Bible, why be intimidated? Why? I don’t understand them. What Dan Brown did, he created a fictional story based on true facts. Aren’t most fictional books based on true facts, to make the reading more believable and more entertaining? But it doesn’t necessary means the (whole) story did happened for real and we should believe them.

How funny, these protesters think about most Catholics. I remember a TV interview made to one moviegoer who just saw the movie. He was smiling and shaking his head, he said he doesn’t think that Filipino’s are stupid enough to be traumatized by this fictional movie. And a thirteen year old kid who read the novel but won’t be able to watch the movie due to its R18 rating said, being brought up in a catholic family and being a true believer of God and Jesus, we should learn to trust our faith. And when asked if his faith has change after reading the said novel, he simply said “No, it became stronger.” As simple as that. We should learn a thing or two from this kid.

And where is Dan Brown after all these brouhahas? Laughing his way to the bank I guess. With all the controversies made even before the movie was shown, it has created a lot of fanatics and curious people who just want to be “in” so they have to watch it. Lots of people, lots of money coming in. Congratulations! We just made Dan Brown lot richer than he expected. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Quoting Rod Nepomuceno of the Philippine Star, “Some friends are telling me that their faith in Christianity has been shaken after reading The Da Vinci Code. That’s like saying you’ve lost your faith in the law of gravity after watching Peter Pan.” True. Reading his article brought a smile unto my face this early Monday morning. I for one being a Catholic since birth, studied in a catholic since highschool and most of my college life thinks that with a strong faith in God and believing in miracles and the power of prayers I won’t be easily fooled by facts that doesn’t have a sturdy evidence for it to be called REAL and TRUE. It’s baseless and according to Mr. Brown, FICTIONAL. I think Catholic (Political) Leaders should instead focus on more serious issues, for example Catholic Priests raping children and the like. Isn’t that more threatening? Frightening it is! A man of God committing an immoral (deadly) sin. I just hope that people who think they’re morally correct in every way would have a rude awakening. Open your eyes and quit the bullshit! There are greater issues in life that needs attention than a book made to entertain us!

Dan Brown is a good writer no doubt and I think he’ll be around for a while.

No comments: