Saturday, May 06, 2006

Friday

- Almon Marina, SM Megamall-
There is something about dining alone that I sometimes like and hate.

I like the feeling of being on my own – being liberated, sometimes. Liberated in a sense that a lot of people I know wouldn’t be caught dead eating alone in a fast food or fine dining restaurants but I’m courageous enough to have done it several times. They on the other hand don’t have the nerve to tell the waiter “table for one please” or carry a tray of food while looking around for a vacant seat. The only thing I hate when eating unaccompanied is when people hear you say “for one” or as you walk by yourself with a tray of food some of them would turn their head to stare, gawk, or glance at you as you go by their table and take your seat all alone. Not that I have ordered food good enough for a basketball team, but maybe because the chair beside me or across me are empty. That’s when I sometimes think, “Why?! Why did I have to feel hungry?” But I’m hungry so what! As if there is a law against people eating alone in this country.

Why so? Maybe because a lot of people don’t feel comfortable eating by themselves. They need a companion to at least be occupied with, to talk with, and not to look stupid in public. Imagine you slice/bite your food, chew and swallow. Then what? You repeat the process until you’re done. Boring! But then for me, it’s eating in complete silence. You could savor each bite you take; truly experience the good food is. And take all the time in the world to finish it. I’m not ashamed that I could do it all by myself and I don’t pity other people who could do it also. There is nothing wrong with eating alone in a public place. Lakasan lang ng loob yan! I just make sure that I bring my iPod, and a good book or a magazine to kill time in between bites. Hehehe!

~~~~

Yesterday, I went to Megamall to have my nails done at Tips ‘N Toes. I didn’t call to set for an appointment, so by the time I got there my nail technician is already occupied with her client and wouldn’t be free until 5:30pm and it was only 3:45pm… Goodness! Helen, the one in charge at the front desk, scolded me for not calling ahead of time. She wouldn’t have set anything for Marly if I called first before I showed up at the Salon. Ok! Ok! Ok! My mistake! I won’t do it again. So I just said I’ll go back before 5:30 nalang. Now, I was left with 1 hour and 45 minutes, what was I supposed to do with all those time. Then I decided to eat. ALONE. I tried Almon Marina. Though it’s been at Megamall goodness for how long I don’t know, I only dined there once. So I told myself, I want to try their sandwiches this time because if I’m not mistaken, before I tried their pasta and loved it. Unfortunately never went back. Oh well… after a New York New York Sandwich and only 30 minutes left, I went back to Tips ‘N Toes and have my nails fix and a good foot spa. After two hours, I was done. My nails newly refill, my feet scrubbed. Hay… something that I look forward once a month and if really stressed - twice a month. A little indulgence won’t hurt. :p

After that, Jai picked me up at Starbucks. We went to Eastwood Libis. She did a little shopping at the Tiangge, I was happy to just check out what’s new. We had dinner and a little chit chat before she goes to work. By 11:30 pm I was home. Surfing the net and checking eBay. Another day has ended. Weekend. No work. I could sleep late. Yey!

No comments: